Mutual Telecom Services Inc. d/b/a Black Box Network Services (Black Box) is seeking an experienced Technician to join our team at Sandia National Labs in Albuquerque, NM.
Under general direction, follows established procedures to configure and maintain hardware, operating software, and business applications; uses manual and automated methods to control information processing, identifies technical faults, and attempts initial problem resolution; participates in team problem solving and root cause analysis; composes and updates operational documentation such as checklists, procedure charts, and status reports; understands and complies with record keeping requirements, protocols, and standards; demonstrates general knowledge and proficiency with computing and/or telecommunications technologies; and recommends continuous improvement activities.
In this position, the Telephone IMAC Field Support Technician is responsible for performing telephone activities in telecommunication distribution rooms and user areas throughout Sandia/NM. Install properly operating station equipment (telephones, etc.) at the end user’s location. Install distribution frame patches and disconnects in telecommunication distribution rooms. Test and verify telephone cable connections. Repair or replace faulty cables and connectors. Work with the IMAC CO Support Services team to update the cable plant description, equipment inventory and equipment location documentation using Sandia-procedures and Sandia-supplied databases. Document work performed (including issues) in service request workflow log prior to closing service request or transitioning work to another team. In support of OSP, field-verify infrastructure pathways and availability. Recondition & test TDM telephony equipment for warehouse spares.
• Fostering of excellent relations with the Customer and the team on behalf of Black Box.
• 1-year experience installing and maintaining wire and cable infrastructure in an environment equivalent in scope and complexity to Sandia
• Operational knowledge of the basics of three-tier network architecture
• Operational knowledge of the basics of passive-optical network architectures
• Knowledge of industry standards for installation and maintenance of communications infrastructure components (cable and electronic components)
• Operational experience supporting telephone and network equipment changes and installations
• Operational experience testing, verifying, and documenting changes to telephone and network system equipment
• Ability to follow documented procedures in the execution of daily activities
• Ability to track circuit detail
• Strong customer/client service orientation with effective communication and interpersonal skills, including tact and diplomacy.
• Must have computer skills including Microsoft Office Suite experience
• Must have an understanding of the OSI model
• Must have operational knowledge of many telecom, electrical testers, hand tools, power tools and some networking tools.
• Must be able to obtain and maintain a DOE Q Clearance.
• Strong computer skills with emphasis on applications are required.
• Ability to successfully handle multiple priorities simultaneously is required.
• Must have a valid US passport
• Ability to work extremely flexible hours and support on-call duties and shift work may be required.
• A valid driver’s license is required.
• The successful candidate shall have a minimum of a high school diploma and 1+ years of experience providing technical IT support in a corporate setting. Must understand IT Service Management and delivery within industry best practices framework such as ITIL.