The SONET/DWDM Technician will report directly to the Site Manager and the following duties are typical but not-all inclusive:
- Responsible for the advanced installation, operation, and maintenance of all transport equipment associated with the telecommunications infrastructure at the site. This includes Ciena, Alcatel Lucent nodes as well as 2-wire, 4-wire and point-to-point circuits, T-1, channel banks, channel service units (CSU), digital service units (DSU) and other circuits.
- Configure, Install, Service and Maintain core switches, routers, SONET transport, DWDM and other related equipment necessary for the delivery of Metro Transport. This includes all equipment, both active and passive, between the core network and customer-facing ports.
- Test and validate all new switch and router hardware and connections for proper configuration and performance. Ensure all fibers, cables and other connections are properly tagged and identified and that these connections have the proper physical support such as fiber duct, spiral wrap and strand relief supports. Ensure all equipment is mounted in such a way as to ensure network reliability.
- Document that all equipment alarm points are being properly monitored and circuit design records are complete and accurate. This includes both creating circuit design records when needed as well as ensuring they are updated for an as-built or service restoration changes.
- Assist with the installation, service and maintenance of customer premise equipment and last mile fiber circuits as necessary and directed.
- As part of an on-call/standby rotation, respond to after-hours call-out for service restoration, troubleshooting, network testing and repair of all last core switches, routers, SONET transport, DWDM and other related equipment necessary for the delivery of Metro Transport.
- Also assist OEM Network Engineers in troubleshooting, testing and repair of all core switches, routers, SONET Transport, DWDM and other related equipment as
necessary and directed.
- Participate in the creation and review of event Post Mortem documentation to ensure accurate and meaningful Post Mortem is created. Review all Post Mortem documents and implement procedures to minimize future service outages and shorten the duration.
- Maintain all spare stock for all core switches, routers, SONET transport, DWDM and other related equipment necessary. Track all equipment RMAs and ensure the proper levels of spares inventory is maintained.
- Perform scheduled maintenance on all core switches, routers, SONET transport, DWDM and other related equipment such as software upgrades